Sunday 10 November 2013

Festival and shopping

So last week we got an extra 3 days off from university for the campus festival. I didn't really know what to expect, but essentially there was a lot of food, and a lot of dancing. It was pretty interesting to see how people acted differently here. Under normal circumstances students do not come up to me and talk to me, but because they were trying to draw people to their stalls, we were constantly being hounded down to eat whatever food they had to offer. Students were more than willing to just shout random English words at me to get my attention. I had more than one person just say "I love you" for no apparent reason besides to get my attention so I would buy the food at their stall. I had to learn how to say "maybe later" in Japanese just to get people to leave us alone. And when I did return to one stall for food, the girl screamed at me (which is apparently a positive thing here), but startled me nonetheless! 





Stalls all tried different tactics to get our attention, one which was selling just chips had the below sign, the McDonald's clown is slightly terrifying, and the 'M' legs are just random!

After all the excitement and food of the festival we were off to the outlet mall in Kurashiki for a bit of shopping, which also meant I had to get my first train since I arrived in Japan, which was a lot less stressful than I envisaged.

Mitsui outlet park is actually built on the site of an old Dutch theme park, Tivoli Park. Pretty much all that is left of the theme park is the clock tower. The picture below is taken from the train station looking towards the outlet park.

I keep seeing these pants everywhere, because apparently it gets cold enough to need giant fluffy pants here...yay?

I also took a picture of 'something'

Apparently Christmas has arrive already, from what I could tell there was a little stand where kids could control the lights and sounds the tree made...

Bruce biscuits!! Found in a French shop? Where I also found the Queens face on biscuits...

Interesting earring packing 

My first Japanese McDonald's 

Mmmm teriyaki chicken burger. Actually a large here is so much bigger than a UK large meal.

The tower from the other side as we left. Upon the hour I am told that little characters come out of the clock, though I really don't know what they do.

The results of a hard day shopping, and yes I even managed to buy mince pies in Japan, in November!! Yayyyyyyyy!

No comments:

Post a Comment